The human face is always considered as the main identity of a person. It is easily recognized by people and it is the area of the human body that communicates a person’s feelings, age set and beauty. The face skin is usually thinner and softer than any other skin on the human body. It is exposed to the environment for long periods throughout the day and is susceptible to the pull of gravity. It is therefore extremely subjected to the wear and tear as people go through life and this is the reason why facial skin loses faster as people age through life replacing the once beautiful, youthful skin.
- Science has come out with ways to reverse the aging process or reduce the exhibition of aging signs on the face. There are fillers like >Botox which can be used to hide the file aging lines on the face; there are also laser treatments which are applied to rejuvenate the skin.
- The world’s best procedure to eliminate the aging signs on the face and neck is the facelift procedure.
- It is a surgical option on the face that involves the removal of excess fats beneath the skin, smoothing the wrinkles and tightening the facial skin, improving the muscle tone and reducing the neck bands.
- The three main types of facelift are the mini-lift, standard lift and full facelift depending on the extent it is carried out.
- Different patients require different facelift procedures even though the difference is usually slight.
- The general procedure for carrying out facelift begins with the doctor examining the patient’s skin to establish its consistency.
- Smokers are advised to stop smoking for at least a week or two before the facelift procedure is undertaken.
- They are also advised not to commence smoking immediately after the surgery since smoking inhibits blood flow to the skin which can delay healing.
- Facelift is normally conducted by a surgeon. The first procedure involves the doctor giving the patient a combination of anaesthesia and a sedative, so the patient can stay awake during the procedure without feeling the pain.
- The traditional facelift usually begins with the plastic surgeon making an incision beginning around the hairline through the temple and eventually curving around the earlobe to end at the hairlines bottom.
- To tighten the skin on the neck, it is also advisable for the surgeon to make an incision from under the chin.
- The doctor then extracts the fat underneath the skin to give it a sleeker look.
- The layer underneath the skin known as Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System (SMAS) is then folded in order to tighten it.
- This action will lift the cheeks, give more definition to the jawline and firm the neck.
- The doctor then pulls the skin back up over the tighten SMAS with laser or knife, and the incision is then covered with stitches or tissue glue.
If the surgery is done in Europe, ehic application to obtain the EHIC card is necessary to help in minimizing the cost since the whole procedure is usually very expensive; with the doctor’s fee at about $5,000 and an aggregate amount of $6,000 to $12,000 for the entire process.